Dance courses are enjoyable!
Choose a level that you can handle.
If you are beginner or in doubt, it is mostly preferable to choose a level
that you think might be slightly below your current skills, rather than to
choose a more advanced level. The reason is that it is more enjoyable to feel
good at what you are doing, rather than to hardly be able to catch up with the
others. In most cases, there will any way be new ideas and suggestions that will
improve your dancing . If you are in doubt, those organizing the course can
probably give advice.
There are both professional and non-profit associations that arrange dance
courses. If you know others who have participated in the courses, contact them
and ask them for their experiences.
If you live in the Stockholm region, the links below might be useful.
Organizers with a mixed programme
- Danshuset - Jazz dance, street dance, show dance and also some bugg, salsa and oriental dance. Most but not all of the courses are
- Mälarsalen (Södermalm) - The course programme has varied over time, today it contains mainly modern dance
- Stockholm Salsa Dance (Norrmalm) - Salsa, Zumba and argentinean tango
- Educational associations have a diversed course programme, mostly including dance courses
- Urkraft (Norrmalm) - African and Afro inspired dances (Afrostreet, Dancehall, Reggaeton, Orientalic, House etc)
Bugg och swing (Lindy Hop, Balboa, Blues, Boogie Woogie, West Coast Swing m.m.)
- Brunna Danssportklubb (Järfälla) - Bugg, Boogie Woogie, West Coast Swing, Lindy Hop, foxtrot, competition classes and social dancing
- Chicago (Södermalm) - Lindy Hop, tap and other swing oriented classes, and also extensive social dancing open for everyone. Also associated
with the popular Herräng Dance Camp summertime
- Ebba Dansklubb (Bredäng) - (sw) Boogie Woogie, bugg, Lindy Hop, including competition classes and social dancing for members
- Nackswinget (Nacka) - Bugg and social dancing for members
- Stockholm Sång och Dans (Södermalm) - Lindy Hop and West Coast Swing, and also singing, mainly for youth people
- Swedish Swing Society (Kungsholmen) - Lindy Hop, Balboa and tap, including dance camps, competition classes and social dancing open for everyone
- Swingkatten (Uppsala) - Lindy Hop, Balboa, tap and other swing related classes. Also social dances open for everyone
- West Coast Jitterbugs (Göteborg) - Lindy Hop, Balboa, Boogie Woogie, Blues and other swing related dances. Also social dances for members
- Värmdö Dansare (Gustavsberg) - An organisation with a less extensive programme. Bugg and foxtrot. Also competition and occasionally social dancing open for evereyone
Gammaldans, polskor, gillesdans, folkdans
- Folkmusikhuset (Skeppsholmen) - Dance-, song- and music-activities, including
instructions. This is a good alternative if you want to get in touch with
dance for the first time. Instructions for beginners in gammaldans start at
18.00 Sundays, and polska at 19:00. The first Sunday in each month 16:30 -
except in the summer - there is swedish tango practica (swedish tango). The entrance
is free. The instructions are however quite comprehensive, a dance course provides
more time and better opportunities to learn a dance, from the basics to more advanced levels
Argentinean tango, practicas, milonga
- Argentango (Norrmalm) - Courses and milongas
- Tango Norte (Svensk-argentinska tangoföreningen, Stockholm) - The major arranger of argentinean tango in Stockholm, with courses, workshops, practicas, milongas and dance camps
- Tangoverkstan (Norrmalm) - Courses, workshops, practicas and milongas
After the dance course
On a dance course you can learn the basics for a dance. In most cases there
are also intermediate and advanced levels, giving possibilities to continue with
the courses for several years. There are however also other alternatives.
(keep fit dance) often based on gammaldans, is in some cases
organized by non-profit associations on workday evenings.
Some non-profit associations arrange dance evenings with dance instructions.
Polskor with instructions are for example arranged by Mälparingen (sw)
and Polskedansarna (sw).
Societies have often an ample programme with gammaldans, polskor, dancing games,
folk lore and possibly also modern dances.
Last but not least, you can practice and enrich your knowledge at public
dance events. These hold out the best chances for improvisation and joy.
See also Dansglädjes Course Calendar and Dance Calendar
Last updated: 2014-08-06